Award winning quiltmaker Karen Malone presents the next Friday showcase at the Guild office at 10am on Friday, 4 September 2009. All welcome! ($5.50 entry fee)
Friday, 28 August 2009
Thursday, 27 August 2009
Congratulations to Guild members, Helen Godden, Lisa Walton and Nicole Bridges on their success at the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham, England last week.
Lisa and Nicole were awarded 2nd prize in the Group Quilt category for Bushfire Sunset:
And Helen was awarded first prize in the Art Quilt category for her quilt Mother Earth. You can view and hear the judge's commentary on this category in this video: Joanna O'Neill Shares Insights into the Art Quits Category.
Sunday, 23 August 2009
This is a reminder of some forthcoming Guild events and deadlines:
- Friday, 28 August - closing date for the 2010 Guild Scholarship. Written applications (hard copy not e-mail) must be received at the Guild office by this date and marked to the attention of the Vice President;
- Saturday, 19 September - annual general meeting at Burwood. In accordance with the Guild's constitution, ALL committee positions fall vacant and are up for election. Check the next issue of the newsletter for details and a nomination form;
- Sunday, 20 September - social meeting at Campbelltown;
- Friday, 25 September - closing date for the 2009 Guild Challenge - What Tickles Your Fancy. The new travelling suitcase has different dimensions so the new quilt size for the 2009 challenge is 40cms x 60cms (16 x24 inches) - portrait or landscape with hanging sleeve;
- Sunday, 15 November - social meeting at Campbelltown; and
- Saturday, 21 November - end of year general meeting including the display of the 2009 challenge quilts.
Saturday, 15 August 2009
You are invited to the inaugural International ArtCloth exhibition, 'ArtCloth: Engaging New Visions, Fairfield City Museum and Art Gallery, 29th August - 11th October 2009. Opening at 2.00pm Saturday, 29th August by Joan Truckenbrod, Professor of Art & Technology, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, USA.
The list of participants in the exhibition includes:
- Laura Beehler, USA
- Claire Benn, England
- Regina Benson, USA
- Jane Dunnewold, USA
- Susan Fell-McLean, Australia
- Claudia Helmer, Germany
- Cas Holmes, England
- Ken Kagajo, Japan
- Helen Lancaster, Australia
- Jurate Petruskeviciene, Lithuania
- Jeanne Raffer Beck, USA
- Julie Ryder, Australia
- Joan Schulze, USA
- Tjarya (Nungalka) Stanley, Ernabella Arts, Australia
- Norma Starszakowna, England
- Tjunkaya Tapaya, Ernabella Arts, Australia
- Annie Trevillian, Australia
- Joan Truckenbrod, USA
- Jurate Urbiene, Lithuania
- Els van Baarle, The Netherlands
- Marie-Therese Wisniowski, Australia
Friday, 14 August 2009
The demonstration for this Saturday's meeting has been cancelled but we hope you will join us for a bustling market day, meeting and a presentation by Reece Scannell.
Thursday, 13 August 2009
As part of the Braidwood Quilt Event (27-29 November 2009), textile artists are invited to create a quilt inspired by the work of Australian printmaker and artist Hall Thorpe (1874 – 1947).
The award is sponsored by Cheryl Hannah, Director of Fyre Gallery, Braidwood, in conjunction with an exhibition of Hall Thorpe’s work from November 13 to December 21
Entry forms available from the Quilt Event website www.braidwoodquiltevent.org.au
Email: email@example.com Ph (02) 4842 2355 or (02) 4842 2626
Tuesday, 11 August 2009
The next Guild meeting at Burwood is Saturday, 15 August 2009. It's "Market Day" and members will be selling their wares from 11am.
There will also be a demonstration by Gai Rayner. Gai specialises in dyeing fabric with Liquid Radiance, a paint designed to work like a dye. It is a very simple, clean procedure. Not available in shops.
1pm, General Meeting & Guest Speaker (Reece Scannell)
96 Shaftsbury Avenue, Burwood
Tuesday, 4 August 2009
The Southern Highlands Textile and Fibre Network is holding their annual exhibition and sale of work:
10am-4pm 6-16 August 2009
Fashion Parade: 1pm * August 2009
BDAS Gallery 1 Short Street Bowral
Enquiries: (02) 4872 3375 and (02) 4869 5878