The last blog post Choosing Your Category for the Sydney Quilt Show highlighted the introduction of new categories for amateurs and professionals: pieced quilts, appliqué quilts, combined pieced and appliqué and other techniques. These technique-based categories are complemented by four new prestigious awards:
- Retaining the Tradition: Best Traditional Quilt (Amateur): $500 sponsored by Australian Patchwork & Quilting
- Retaining the Tradition: Best Traditional Quilt (Professional): $500 sponsored by Australian Patchwork & Quilting
- Best Contemporary Quilt (Amateur): $500 voucher sponsored by Quiltsmith
- Best Contemporary Quilt (Professional): $500 voucher sponsored by The Patchwork Shop
- Retaining the Tradition: Best Traditional Quilt: For quilts using traditional designs, patterns or sets. Quilts may be wholecloth, pieced and quilted, appliqué and quilted, or a combination of piecing, appliqué and quilting including crazy quilts.
- Best Contemporary Quilt: Quilts that draw on the traditions of quilt making but present a new look derived from changes to, or departures from, established patterns and sets. Makers may use non-traditional fabrics, fabric printing and dyeing, embellishment and unusual construction methods.